Cloud product portfolios have been expanded and architectures have been modified to package a multiple options for server backups. Small and medium enterprises can now backup their servers and other IT assets to local, remote or online backup repositories using a single, centralized, user-friendly administrative graphical-user-interface. Cloud backup services have truly transformed themselves into hybrid systems that cater to the needs of the enterprise.
Hybridization of Cloud backup may happen in two ways. A few Cloud backup services offer an appliance-free, local backup feature. No new appliances or gateways need to be justified, budgeted and purchased to use this facility. Existing hardware can be redeployed for the purpose. Other Cloud backup services offer appliance-based local backup services that come with many guarantees, such as Plug and play disk backup, robust data protection, instant recovery and so on. The local backup copy can be used to recover information instantly and speedily in the event of disaster.
Hybrid Cloud backup services operate in a perfectly competitive market. These services differentiate themselves from the competition by using a variety of file and data management technologies with their backup (such as WAN optimization technology to make parallel channel transfers for data replication and redundancy, compression, multi-threading and WebDAV protocols, etc.) to improve Cloud backup and recovery performance and obtain a larger slice of the market-share for their product. They keep their fingers on the pulse of the market, anticipate or even create user-needs. They work with other managed service providers and technology partners to deliver state-of-the art services to their customers and ensure that they deliver on any service level agreements (SLAs) they may sign with their customers.
The strength of a hybrid Cloud backup technology on offer today can be summarized as under:
- Local, remote and online backups can be performed from a single GUI administrative console,
- All types of backup—local, remote or online–are WAN optimized for efficiency and optimal performance,
- Compression, de-duplication and encryption technologies are automatically enforced in all types of backups,
- A number of application aware plug-ins are available for the backup of different types of IT assets (such as Windows Servers, Linux servers or Mac systems),
- No additional appliances are required for local backup,
- Existing hardware can be redeployed for local backup of data,
- No additional licenses are required when new endpoints are added,
- Resellers can use the scripting API to create value for their customers.